10E013 Tom Costello Alan Rossi Slalom Derby
Saturday, August 29, 2009
Although the early morning cold and rain made it difficult to consider getting wet, we were fortunate not to have received literally ANY of the wind reported outside of our Green Mountain microcosm. A delayed start of about 45 minutes, allowing staff the extra preparation time to weatherize, was mitigated by a few first round scratches. The rain was never hard enough to require additional delay and ended early in the second round. We had 18 Class C and 10 Fun Class competitors. We had Wrightsville Beach to ourselves.
Highlights of the day:
- Jonathan Murray posted the best score of the day with 4 @ 38-off.
- Nick Leuthauser finally showed us in the 3rd round that he could really ski!
- 11 year old Boys 2 Canadian phenom Matthew DeLorme skied another impressive
performance, 4 @ 28-off.
- In a highly unusual occurrence, Scott Cerosky was the only Mens 4
Class C skier.
- Mark Desrochers and Amy Robbins participated in their 1st tournament.
- Sancy Chicoine was thrilled to take home the women’s Fun class trophy.
- The other Fun class winners were father and son, Tom Moody and William
- Despite knowledge of the score to beat in the Fun class, Colin Moffatt
couldn’t pull it off in his 3rd round. His response: “He’s going down next year.”
- Only one person, John Witmer, got walked in on while in the changing
- We had a surprise visit by Sid and Scott Davis.
- A very moved Ed Brazil was honored with the Alan Rossi Memorial award.
A moment of silence was held for our dear friends Tom and Alan for whom the tournament is named. Ed Brazil, a New Hampshire skier who has given back to the sport significantly in site development and waterski-related innovation, was this year’s award recipient. Fred Costello provided a 2009 t-shirt for all contestants from Tommy’s fund.
Thanks to everyone that helped make the tournament a success!
Andy and other tournament participants
Mark Desrochers and Lisa Roll in foreground
Cole, Will, Matthew on starting dock
Bill Bruzzese reflects on Tom and Alan
Tournament participants gather for the Alan Rossi Memorial Award presentation
Bruce reads some highlights of the career of the recipient
The 2009 Award is presented to Ed Brazil
Ed says a few words about Alan and nephew Chris Rossi’s skiing efforts at the world level
Will and Colin
Third round boat crew Cole, Bruce, Dan
Bruce presents Will Moody with the Boys Fun Class award
Bruce with Will Moody, Boys Fun Class winner, and Matthew DeLorme, Boys Class C winner
Father and Son winners of the Fun Class, Tom and Will Moody, with Matthew DeLorme, Boys Class C winner
Above photos provided by Tom Moody. Below photos provided by Jeannette Wulff.
Pat and Donna man the scoring table
The Wrightsville Beach canoes came in handy
…and he goes down!